FastDB database browser
It is a small toolset around FastDB which may help for
maintainance and testing purposes. Core is some database browser -
currently called "dbrowse" - which will be somewhat similar to TOAD
which is used for ODBC- databases. This tool will be available
OpenSource, since it might be useful to others. As first impression of
the idea you'll find a prerelease and source attached.
Just open any FastDB database and doubleclick tablenames at any place.
Pressing Shift while clicking will show the whole table content, without
Shift you'll get table schema.
Next release will use Ctrl-Key combination to open a Query By Example
window to process queries. Of course some editing options will be added
to be able to modify content. And clicking Oids should follow the
The source is based on ATL/WTL libraries (WTL 7 is distributed with
Platform SDK or can be downloaded from Microsoft separately) and uses
the local cli-API for accessing the database since that allows schema-independent access.
- Version 0.04
- Support for a "m_name" field in any table. If now
referenced objects have such a "m_name"- attribute, than that name will
be displayed in square-brackets after the reference. So you don't have
to follow any reference to find out to what it points if the pointed
object has a name.
- Support for a Windows- "StateTriggered"-Message
broadcasted by applications. If an application calls the WIN32-API
RegisterWindowMessage("StateTriggered") and uses the returned Message-ID
to broadcast parameterless Windows-messages, the browser will update the
content of all views.
So Dbrowse can be used to monitor the state of running applications-
that was the main purpose for which i built that tool. I'm using FastDB
to store the state tables of implementations of a generic state-engine
pattern and so Dbrowse can monitor states and conditions of any
application containing such a state-engine.
- Version 0.03
- import and export databases as XML- files
- generate fake C++ header files for CASE tools which allow to make
pretty UML class diagrams of the database schema.
- integrated documentation covers those new features.
- Version 0.02
- crashes when clicking on unlinked fields in detail view
- releasing of no longer needed cursors
- - avoiding querying complete tables if current record is known (using
- editing of scalar record fields in detail view (editor mode)
- refreshing all open views with current data (monitoring apps)
- integrated help view / reference manual
- Version 0.01
- displaying array views and detail views
- follow any oids as links
- filtering using WHERE like syntax
- exception handling
- rudimentary HTML help system
- refactored and documented most code